Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Henri Cartier Bresson

The Master of the Decisive Moment. That is how Cartier Bresson was introduced to me.
The first image of his I recall seeing is of the man leaping over the puddle, suspended in space in time with perfect balance and tension. This is typical of what I feel is his best work.
In the video he seemed less pretentious than I had imagined, especially when he talked about doing portrait work. It reminded me of times I have been shooting and talking to the subject, usually questions about their work or something I may pick up on while speaking to them beforehand. It is challenging, and while I may not share the same level of trepidation as Bresson seemed to, I felt a connection.
This comes back to time. The man has been dead six years now and here he is making connections with people as if he were in the room. That is the magic of his work, the suspension of time during that perfect moment when everything comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment