Saturday, November 20, 2010

Slideshow Critique

I learned a lot from this assignment and I am really starting to appreciate the power of Lightroom. I actually had thought of doing stills to music in a similar fashion a long time ago when I was first contemplating going to college.
 To see it can be done so easily is nice.
My first attempt at producing one was about halfway successful. I shot many images for this before I came up with my idea to use text to touch on the caustic political environment we currently find ourselves in. I am also a huge fan of Hunter S Thompson. I was deeply saddened by his death in 2005 and I know he was a very outspoken opponent of Nixon and later George W Bush. I thought I could tie in part of his suicide note and the other images in a way that made it come together as a whole, but I fell short of this goal. I was influenced by Winston Smith the collage artist mainly, and so I created a background painting and collaged some text onto it for one of the images in a nod to him.
Another thing that weakened the piece was the fact that the images did not change quickly enough. I have to admit I was having problems with Lightroom finding some of my images, even though they had been placed in a collection in my catalog and not touched, when I came back the next day LR said they weren't there. That cost me 4 images, which took away from the consistency and also made the time each image stayed onscreen a bit too long. It irritated me but noone seemed to know what the problem was, and that is one aspect of LR I still find very frustrating.
Overall I was fairly pleased with this first time effort. I feel I produced some nice images as stand alone and a fairly interesting slideshow. This is definitely something I will use again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment